Insight

I Heart Art Insider – Wu Jiaru

Scroll down

Personally, art-making is a way to retore both internal and external order.

就個人而言,藝術創作是一種恢復內部和外部秩序的方式。

We had a chat with Wu Jiaru about her opinions on photography and traditional arts, how art influences her life, as well as her inspirations. Keep reading to find out more.

我們與Wu Jiaru傾談她對攝影及傳統藝術的看法,藝術如何影響她的生命,及她的創作靈感。繼續閱讀並了解更多。

  • How did you get interested in art and what are your inspirations?
  • 你如何對藝術產生興趣及你的靈感來源。
My mother taught me to draw a mushroom and a cake on my 6th birthday. Probably that was the start. And then, I studied art and literature at university, where I received systemic art training. My inspirations are from experience, knowledge, and imagination.
我對藝術的興趣或許始於我的母親於我6歲生日的時候教我畫蘑菇。後來,我於大學期間修讀藝術及文學,我也是從這段時間接受有系統性的藝術訓練。我的靈感來自我的經歷、知識及想像力。
  • What do you want to influence and communicate as an artist?
  • 作為一名藝術家,你想透過藝術去帶來甚麼影響及如何利用藝術去溝通交流?
Being an artist is not always about influence and communication for me. Most of the time, I can’t sleep, don’t know how to stop thinking; sometimes, I’m in pain for no reason and confused… Personally, art-making is a way to retore both internal and external order.
作為一名藝術家,我並不經常以藝術去帶來影響或以藝術去作溝通交流。很多時候,我都有失眠的情況,不知道如何去停止思想。有些時候,我會無緣無故地痛苦和困惑就個人而言,藝術創作是一種恢復內部和外部秩序的方式。
  • What are you currently working on?
  • 你目前在做什麼?
A series of new paintings and writings, and some trivial things in life, like how to deal with insomnia.
一系列新的繪畫和寫作,以及一些生活中的瑣碎事情,例如處理失眠。
  • What exhibitions/art pieces are you working on?
  • 你在籌備展覽/藝術作品嗎?
Some of my new pieces are currently showing at the Axel Vervoordt Gallery. It’s a group show called Residual Heat. The exhibition features seven Hong Kong artists from different generations.
Note – The exhibition date is from now until 28 August 2021.
我的新作品目前正在 Axel Vervoordt 畫廊展出中。這是一個名為 “Residual Heat” 的藝術家群體展覽。展覽展出7位不同世代的香港藝術家。
註 – 展覽日期由即日境至 2021年 8月28日。
  • What do you want your audiences to experience?
  • 你期望觀眾能體驗到甚麼
The audience is seldom part of my concern in the art-making process.
於創作藝術的過程中 ,觀眾並不是我最關心的部份。
  • How do photography and traditional arts work together and influence each other?
  • 你覺得攝影和傳統藝術如何相互影響?

From an anthropological point of view, art is transcendent and a journey of free will for a human being; photography is a great invention that changes how humans perceive the world revolutionarily, which I would say is the magic of technology. I assumed the traditional arts you are referring to are all kinds of art that existed before modern art. And they are not in conflict with photography. A more productive discussion under the context of contemporary art would begin with the question of art and technology. We are living in a transdisciplinary age.

從人類學的角度來看,藝術是超越性的,是人類自由意志的旅程;
攝影是一項偉大的發明,它革命性地改變了人類對世界的看法,
我想說這就是科技的魔力。我假設您所指的傳統藝術是現代藝術之前存在的各種藝術。
而且它們與攝影並不衝突。在當代藝術的背景下,更富有成效的討論將從藝術和技術問題開始。
我們生活在一個跨學科的時代。
WU Jiaru BIO:
WU Jiaru (b.1992) obtained her BA in Fine Arts and English Language from Tsinghua University in 2014, and her MFA from the School of Creative Media at City University of Hong Kong in 2017. Wu experiments with imagined spaces and social norms in forms of installation, moving images, sculpture, painting, image synthesis. Wu’s practice covers topics including literature, mythology, romantic relationships, technology and futurology, etc.

Please visit https://wujiaru.online/ for Jiaru’s updates and her work.

Image courtesy of Axel Vervoordt Gallery